Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Inexpensive Retro PC Gaming

     Did you ever wonder what happens to old computer games that disappear off the shelves? Unlike console games that continue their lives through the used game market, PC games tend to die off and become useless after one owner. Typically the only way to find these games is by stumbling upon them at garage sales, or thrift stores; that or downloading them once they become freeware. I recently found a much simpler way of finding many of my favorite games.
     Recently a friend pointed me to www.gog.com to purchase myself the Might & Magic Heroes Collection series which happened to be a huge part of gaming life in my school days. GoG currently offers 551 games, including several of which they give you for free. All of the games I have purchased and downloaded seemed to be updated to run easily on windows 7.
     Most recently I picked up a copy of every D&D game they had for under 20$. Now We Hate Bards is playing out some Neverwinter Nights 2, for which GoG has provided a list of servers and games that are still up. They also have great hits like Fallout and Fallout 2, System Shock 2, and many more. Go take a look and see what you can find, and don't forget to let us know what you older games you still play.

No comments:

Post a Comment